Saturday, December 3, 2011

Christmas Shopping

Did you participate in the Black Friday fiasco?  I have never in my life gotten up at 12am, 1am, 2am; I just don't see the point.  I remember back in the day when Black Friday just started getting big the list of items any store had for sale was a big secret.  Slowly websites started popping up alluding what may be on sale for Black Friday.  These days the stores just put it all out there weeks in advance.  Consumers are able to compre the goods from each store and that sale frenzy starts building in each and every person.  

I'll admit i'll skim the sale papers and see what's out there.  But it may have to take an extraordinary event for me to actually hall my butt out to wait in line, in the middle of the night to get a flat panel tv for $25!  Like I said its not ever going to happen.    I did buy something on Black Friday, but I bought it online.  it was something that 2 of my kids asked for and that was it.  
I like the idea of buying a handmade item or better yet making something for someone else.  Outside of a few items for my own kids all my other kids will be handmade/homemade.  I'm making some cute outfits, some home goods and some baked goods for friends and families.  There's something special when you receive a handmade item.  You know you received something that was thought out just for you and that person put in their time to create the item.  The extra TLC, so to speak.  

For my kids teachers I'll be making them each a homemade item straight from my kitchen.  I mean, who doesn't love candied spiced nuts and a nice bottle of wine?  The kids are excited that their teachers will be receiving an item, made with love from out home and not from a store.  I've instilled in my kids that love of uniqueness, something that cannot be bought from a big box store, something that was crafted/sewn/baked with your own two hands.  So much so that my boys are always thinking, inventing and creating their own goods and they desperately want to share it with the world.

This holiday season visit the many crafters on etsy, we all work hard making all that we have. We do it with love and for me, I love what I do!  The big stores out there they'll always have the hot new toy that everyone will have but how about giving your child, your friend, your child's teacher something unique and special.

No comments:

Post a Comment