Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Organizing Love

Sewing within an chaotic mess is frustrating.  I hate having to dig around looking for elastic or bias tape.  On my other blog I posted about getting my notions organized, if you haven't read it I've added it below or you can click over to my personal blog and read from there. As I noted I bought all my bins from Storables here in Portland, I was surprised by the wide selection and fantastic prices!  
 My sewing tools, fabrics, notions etc were starting to look crazy messy.  Things were thrown in containers with no rhyme or reason.  There was no organization.  You'd think I would be able to keep threads with threads and maybe zippers and buttons all together.  At one point it was that way but then as I used items and left them about I got lazy and just started piling things into whatever container was most handy to me at that moment, or wasn't crowded with other things or if I had a bunch of stuff to put away and a majority of them were going in the same bin then I would just dump everything into that bin.  


It got to the point that I was lucky if I could find 3 things I needed for any given project.  To make matters worse, my mom came for a visit and brought all her left over sewing notions, fabrics and tools.  I already, didn't have enough room for my own things what was I going to do with the items she was bringing over.  I was intimidated with the bag of goodies she brought over.  So much so that for over a month I left everything in the giant, travel duffle bag she packed it in.  Rather than sorting, haphazardly, I just dug through the bag whenever I needed something or wanted to look at the fabrics enclosed.  When I found what I was looking for I just stuffed everything back in, worse then the time before!  Yeah, I know, bad, bad, bad.
Then one day I couldn't take it anymore and I had to get my act together and ORGANIZE.


Step 1

  • Sorting & purging notions
  • organizing

Step 2
  • Sorting Fabrics & scraps
  • storage
Step 3
  • Creating my sewing space
Let's tackle Step 1!

The sorting and purging was the easy part.  I actually enjoy that part, a lot, its easy for me since I don't easily attach myself to my stuff.  I had so many things that needed to go, like bobbins that don't fit my new sewing machine.  Anyway once I got the pile-o-stuff down I headed to the one place I knew I could find some killer organization thangs....Storables.  Here in Portland we have a few of them, I went to the one in Pearl since its closest to my home.

One of the items I needed was a container to hold all the threads for my serger.  These threads are a about 4 inches tall and a sort of cone shape, no easy feat to find something to hold these oddly shapen items.  Storables did not disappoint.  

"DVD Storage Box" used for Serger Thread ONLY $5.95


I also picked up a box to hold my various notions.  These were originally thrown about and stuffed into any old container I could find.  I sorted out my notions by type and used Ziplock sandwich bags to group similar items.  I didn't want to buy a bunch of small containers to store them, since that would defeat the purpose.  Luckily I found this fantastic stackable double bin by Snapware.  There are two well sized compartments that spans one on top of the other and has a convenient handle so you can tote them around, easily.
Roomy, space saving bin from Storable $7.95


One of the last storage bins I needed was for my essential items, like, scissors, rotary cutter, pins, measuring tape etc.  I needed to be able to transport it easily, to lock and to have a few smaller compartments to keep smaller items tangled free.  Again, Storable did not disappoint.  They had a fantastic, translucent toolbox that was exactly what I was looking for.  I like that the box is clear and i'm easily able to identify if the tool I need is still in the box or if I took it out and let it on my cutting table.

Medium Toolbox from Storables only $7.95

Storables is one of those stores that you go into to find items you need and find items you didn't know you needed.  The organizing possibilities are endless and I feel like I need to go back, there are so many things I can use and so many items I can't figure out how I lived without.  If you're in Portland like me then you can find a Storables in The Pearl and in Tigard (new Washington Square Mall) and while I was in the store I noticed a great deal offered to our fine educators,  teachers receive 20% off their purchases!!!!!!  That is so awesome because being a volunteer in my kids classrooms I've seen first hand how a store like Storables can be extra helpful.

You can find Storables in The Pearl at:
105 NW 13th Ave.
Portland, OR 97209
Phone: 503.221.4500

And in Tigard at:
9140 SW Hall Blvd. at Greenburg Rd.
Tigard, OR 97223
Phone: 503.624.9500

Or Online at:
http://www.storables.com

Stay tuned for Installment 2 of my Sewing organization bonanza

No comments:

Post a Comment