Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Kid Style

I have two older boys who are 17-months apart.  I remember when they were toddler and could finally wear things other than onesies and leggings I was so excited to shop for them.  To get them the "fun clothes."  I was always became frustrated.  The boys section is 1/16th of the girls and everything was so lame.  Occasionally Target would have something cool (and inexpensive) and I would buy it because I really didn't have any options.  And of course every boy in school also had the same thing.  See what happens when you have no options. 





I started shopping at various kids boutique's around L.A. finding them some fun clothes that not everyone at school would have (my complex that I have for them).  


As the boys got older  it has become easier to shop for them. They have their own individual styles which is so awesome to see unfold everyday.


At 5 and 6 years old they express themselves everyday through their clothes.  My oldest definitely goes for comfort first.  He loves his sweats and for me its tough knowing he wants to and would wear sweats everyday and I have become a permanent stalker of sweats that look like regular pants.  He loves crazy printed shirts that are super worn in. Soft-comfort is his style.


The younger boy is such the style hound.  He loves his jeans and the skinnier the better.  He has a bunch of brightly colored, over dyed skinny Levi's that he loves to death and wears often.  He often pairs it with a skateboarding T or a random striped long sleeved shirt.


While my older boys love comfortable shoes and is perfectly happy wearing his Stride Rite Slingshots everyday the younger boy loves to change it up from checkered vans one day, to white creepers, to chukka boots and Nike high tops.  The shoes change to match the outfits and its so friggin awesome.


I love that they don't need mommy to dress them everyday.  The are perfectly capable at pulling their own look together.  Something they like and they are comfortable and proud of.  When I think back at those early years of worrying what my kids were going to wear I laugh.  Maybe that was the growing pains of being a new parent, having the bestest and newest.  Now I buy what they like or is their style.  If they don't like it they tell me and I return it.  


When did you notice when your child started defining their own sense of style?  Did their style sync with yours or was it the complete opposite?  

No comments:

Post a Comment