Sunday, May 29, 2011

A Boy & His Shoes

The middle child has about 20 pairs of shoes.  A lot for a 5 year old!  Vintage Chuck Taylor high tops, creepers, vans, chukka boots, nike high tops, doc martens, etc..... I asked him what was up with the shoe collection.  Response, "I can't help it.  shoes are AWESOME!"  I couldn't respond.  I just smiled.


I got it.  I totally got it.  They are awesome.


He dresses himself, and honestly he's got pretty great style.  The last thing he normally decides on are his shoes.  He thoughtfully goes through his bin, unloading and digging through his shoes to find just the right pair.  He never disappoints. both me and my husband are always amazed and what he throws on his body.  


The kid has a self made style.  A hybrid hipster-skater thing going on.  its amazing.  He knows what he likes and goes for it.  His classmates would tease his creepers but he didn't care because he thought they were awesome.  color doesn't scare him at all.  he even wanted hot pink and red checked vans but they didn't have his size.  


confidence.  that's what it is.  confidence in himself - an amazing quality for anyone of any age.  a child showing this independence and not caring what others think are great.  if he picked this up from either me or his dad - im happy we were able to instill this in him. no, im ecstatic we were able to instill this in him.  this trait can take you far in life.  


he's a great kid who makes me proud.  i do my best to set a positive example for my kids, not just the traditional "rules" but showing that you can do whatever you put your mind to with persistence and faith.  don't be afraid of failure because if you don't try you would never know what could happen.  i try to show the kid that failure isn't a bad thing, no way!  failure teaches you that you just go back to the drawing board and you make some tweaks and follow your mind, your heart, your passion.  don't give up.  believe. be confident. be self made and don't let anybody stand in your way!

No comments:

Post a Comment