Sunday, January 8, 2012

Looking back at 2011

The new year is upon us and I hope everyone had a fantastic end to 2011.  As I look back on the past year I have so much to be grateful for.  All the memories I have made and all the opportunities I have been given.  It's been a fulfilling year for me one that has been extremely different then past years.


2011 has been a year of big changes for me.  In a nutshell:


Prior to 2011 I never had the opportunity to sew as much as I do now.  In college I sewed for myself and for my husband (he was my boyfriend then).  I experimented with crazy halloween costumes and I had fun doing it and when I sewed for myself I made dresses, lots of dresses and bags.  But 2011 gave me the chance to dive back into this hobby and I love it so much.  With the birth of my daughter in 2009 I got to jump head first into the world of children's clothes.  Nothing I gave much thought to, even though growing up my mother made much of my clothes - and I hope to continue doing this for my little girl and my boys if they allow me to.

2011 I launched Mini Mob.  An outlet of sorts.  I was sewing so much for Crash that I needed "someone" else to sew for thus Mini Mob was born.  I still love it.  I'm not as varied in sizes and styles as I'd like to be but I do what I can.  I don't want to turn my lovely hobby into a chore, that would just be so sad for me.


2011 I also launched Troika Bazaar.  This allowed me to turn my love of vintage, of collectibles, of antiques into something I can share with others.  Troika is still on winter break and should be back in business very soon.


2011 gave me more time than I ever imagined with my kids.  I have turned into their nearly full time care giver.  My boys are a bit older and in elementary school and it has been my pleasure giving them kisses at the school bus in the morning and giant hugs after school.  I have been able to give them the gift of after school activities, fun things that allows them to expand their ever growing mind. 


2011 gave me the opportunity to take my daughter out of full time daycare.  She still goes twice a week but I get to spend time with her all day 3 days a week.  It's been fun watching her grow from a baby to a little girl.  We've spent this past year making new friends, taking swimming class together and dance class together.  In the past, I did not have this opportunity with my boys and to do this now has been wonderful.


No longer working full time has required major sacrifice as you can imagine.  Scaling down from two paychecks to one paycheck has been a bumpy ride and yes I've questioned my choice.  But to give up everything I've been able to do this year is not favorable.  Life has changed in 2011 and I look forward to everything 2012 has in store for me.


All the best to everyone in 2012!

No comments:

Post a Comment